The area had been raided sometime ago by a combined team of security operatives where many of the hoodlums were reportedly neutralized and their camps destroyed, but the area has remained a major source of security threats in the state, The Advocate learnt.
A resident who claimed to have fled the community Saturday evening with members of his family, said that he had to relocate temporarily to Enugu for the safety of his family following heavy shootings.
“As I am speaking with you, people of neighbouring communities of Oruku and Akpugo said they are hearing deafening sounds of explosives and sporadic gunshots and so many people have relocated to these communities for fear of being cut down in the operation. In fact, Akpawfu is not safe right now.
“The entire Ajeme Akawfu community has been under fire since Thursday and everybody has been running helter-skelter for safety. Truly speaking, there are many hoodlums claiming to be IPOB members and we have been living in fear. They kidnap, rape and hold people hostage for ransom in the tick forests and they are also responsible for some of the armed attacks on innocent people around Nkanu land,” said the fleeing resident who pleaded anonymity.
Traditional ruler of the community, Igwe Nnamani, confirmed the military operation in the area to saying though he was out of the community at present, several persons had called to inform him of the development.
He said that members of his family including his wife and children left the community yesterday to a safe place, adding that many other residents must have also fled their homes.
The royal father who spoke on phone expressed the hope that peace would be restored to the community after the ongoing security operation.
The spokesperson of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army could not be reached for comments by press time on Saturday.
Source The Advocate