It was a case of double tragedy for the family of slain Civil Defense Corp in Ekiti State as merciless kidnappers also collected N5million ransome to free two children of the deceased and his younger brother.
Competent family source who spoke under condition of anonymity disclosed that members of the immediate family of the deceased regained their freedom Tuesday after the ransome was paid
“They were released this evening after the family paid about N5million in the bush in Ayede axis. Apart from that, they collected N100,000 for recharge cards, sachets of milk and alcoholic drinks. They added these on Tuesday as conditions for their release.
The source said the gunmen had demanded N30 million from the family of the three victims released the – younger brother of the deceased and the decessed”s five and eleven year-old children.
The Regent of Oke Ako, Princess Tinuade Ogunbiyi, said that the three persons had been released, saying, “My people have called to inform me that they have been released. I cannot say how much was paid to secure their release”.
Recall that the incident occurred last weekend along Oke Ako road , Ajoni local council development area in Ekiti state and the victim was shot dead on the spot while the assailants also escaped with other occupants of the vehicle conveying them.
“They are being been taken to hospital for medical attention as I speak. We are happy we did not lose them as the gunmen killed the NSCDC officer.”
Police Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, said, “Immediately the incident occurred, the Command set up special operatives to go after the hoodlums and ensure the safe release of those held hostage.
The Command had been working with the family members through the Area Commander and DPO in charge of that jurisdiction.
“The joint operations that include the police and other security agents as well as the Amotekun, not excluding their family members have yielded this positive result. Meanwhile, the command is not aware of any ransom paid,” the police spokesperson said.